Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Super Slim Me

Dawn Porter, a size 12 writer, took it upon herself to reach size 0 for a documentary made in conjunction with the BBC. The final report isn't as shocking as I had hoped. I mean, she only eats 500 calories for 8 weeks and she feels miserable the entire time. Isn't that to be expected? I guess I'm skeptical of the ultimate purpose of the documentary. I don't think that most women endeavor to be size 0, I think they just want to be generically skinnier. I also don't think that the majority of either the model population or the population as a whole actually eats the way that Dawn ate. It's certainly a chilling description of the lifestyles of anorexics and bulimics, but does it shed any light on the body image issues facing society as a whole? Starving yourself is a terrible experience. I think we all sort of knew that.

No comments: