Monday, February 5, 2007

The Healthy Attitude Towards Food

The BBC reports here about how young people with eating disorders often feel isolated and alone. Research suggests that increased fascination with celebrity and fitness makes bulimia and anorexia greater risks than ever before. I completely believe the BBC's report, and I don't have a problem with the manner in which they've written about the conditions, but I do get frustrated with the medical news establishment as a whole when they address both obesity and anorexia. We're very clear on what an unhealthy relationship with food is, but what is a healthy relationship with food? Who has one? I worry that the health media is appealing to a fictional "healthy" attitude towards eating and exercise that might not actually exist. I have friends who stuff their faces, but also exercise to an almost pathological degree. On the other hand, I have friends who eat incredibly healthily, but are nonetheless overweight. Which of my friends is "healthier"? Is healthy eating about remaining at the middle of the bell curve? But haven't we as a society chosen a relatively unhealthy bell curve? If vegan and vegetarian restaurants are few and far between, what right do we have to suggest that the best way to eat is the "rabbit" diet? See, this is what reading the BBC does to me. It gets me all riled up. Clearly I need a cupcake.

No comments: